Ask America Anything Contest Official Rules
CIVIS ANALYTICS, INC.
“ASK AMERICA ANYTHING” CONTEST
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Making a purchase will not increase an organization’s chances of winning.
- Contest Overview/Entry Period: The “Ask America Anything” Contest (the “Contest”), sponsored by Civis Analytics, Inc. (”Civis”), begins on November 27, 2018 at 12:00:01 p.m. Central Time (“CT”) and ends on January 4, 2019 at 11:59:59 p.m. CT (the “Contest Period”). No entries will be accepted after the Contest Period. By entering the Contest on behalf of an eligible organization (see eligibility requirements in Rule 2, below), you agree, for yourself and the organization, to abide by and be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of Civis and the official judges (“Judges”), which shall be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
The Contest invites eligible individuals to submit an entry (see entry details in Rule 3, below) on behalf of an eligible organization with which they are affiliated. One (1) Organization (as defined below) will be selected from among all eligible entries received on the basis of the judging criteria described in Rule 7, below, to receive the prize described in Rule 8, below. The Contest is subject to all applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Eligibility:This Contest is open only to eligible non-profit organizations (as defined in (a) and (b) below) located within the 50 United States and the District of Columbia (“D.C.”) (each, an “Organization”). Void outside the United States and D.C. and where prohibited by law. To be eligible for participation in the Contest, an Organization must be: (a) duly organized and in good standing as a not-for-profit corporation under the laws of the state in which it is incorporated; and (b) recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a tax-exempt entity pursuant to Section 501(c)(3) or other applicable sections of the Internal Revenue Code. Civis may require proof of the above at any time and in any manner deemed appropriate by Civis.
In order to submit an entry on behalf of an Organization by which you are employed or otherwise officially affiliated, you must be 18 years of age or older (19 or older if a resident of Alabama or Nebraska) at time of entry. By participating, you warrant and represent that: (a) your participation in this Contest does not violate any rules, policies or guidelines of your Organization, or any applicable federal, state or local laws; and (b) you are authorized by your Organization to participate in the Contest.
Employees, officers and directors of Civis, its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates, sales representatives, distributors, advertising agencies, promotional agencies, and members of the immediate families (defined, for these purposes, as including spouse, biological, adoptive or step-parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, and each of their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) or households (whether related or not) of any of the above are NOT eligible to submit an entry in the Contest.
- How to Enter:
(a) During the Contest Period, go to [http://go.civisanalytics.com/ask_america_application_2018] (the “Web Site”), access the Contest entry page and follow all prompts and instructions to complete the official entry form with all required information;
(b) On the entry form, you must provide two (2) questions pertaining to your Organization that you would ask Americans if given the chance, and describe how you would use their responses in connection with the Organization (your “Proposal”). Proposals may not exceed 300 words. The official entry form and Proposal shall be referred to herein as your “entry”; and
(c) Submit your entry as instructed on-screen. All entries must be received by 11:59:59 p.m. CT on January 4, 2019. Proof of submission of an entry shall not constitute proof of receipt by Civis.
- General Entry Information/Conditions:
(a) All entries must be submitted in the manner described herein; no other method of entry is allowed;
(b) Entries must be in English and may not exceed 300 words;
(c) There may be only one (1) named entrant for each entry submitted, regardless of the number of persons who may have contributed to the creation of the entry;
(c) Civis reserves the right to review and void any entry if Civis feels, in its sole discretion, such entry is offensive, obscene, inappropriate for inclusion in the Contest, or damaging to Civis or any other entity in any way (see specific content restrictions in Rule 5, below). Civis may so void any entry at any time;
(d) By entering the Contest, each entrant hereby represents and warrants that: (i) entrant and the applicable Organization are eligible to participate in accordance with these Official Rules;
(ii) the entry submitted by entrant is his/her original creation, previously unpublished, and not previously submitted in any other contest or promotion (modifying, enhancing or altering a third party’s pre existing work does not qualify as an entrant’s original creation); (iii) entrant owns all right, title and interest in and to the entry or has all necessary rights in and to the entry that would allow him/her to submit it in this Contest under the terms of these Official Rules; (iv) entrant agrees to grant certain rights in the entry to Civis, its affiliates and agents (as described in detail in Rule 6, below), and forever releases and holds Civis harmless from and against any liability of any kind arising from or in connection with use of the entry; (v) entrant has the express permission of all individuals, entities and/or rights-holders of every kind named or referenced in his/her entry to submit the entry in the Contest; and (vi) the entry and its contents do not infringe any third party’s trademarks, copyright or other rights of any kind;
(e) Civis reserves the right not to accept any entry in its sole discretion;
(f) By entering the Contest, each entrant agrees that his/her entry is gratuitous, unsolicited and without restriction, and will not place Civis under any obligations other than those contained in these Official Rules, and that Civis is free to disclose the ideas contained in the entry on a non-confidential basis to anyone or otherwise use the ideas therein without any compensation to entrant. Entrant further acknowledges that Civis does not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to Civis, or developed by its employees, or obtained from sources other than entrant;
(g) Civis’s website clock is the official timekeeper for purposes of this Contest;
(h) Entrants will not now or in the future be paid or compensated in any way for their entries or for granting Civis any of the rights set out in these Official Rules; (i) Civis is not obligated to make use of any of the rights granted in these Official Rules;
(i) Civis is not responsible for: (i) entries that are lost, late, stolen, damaged, garbled, destroyed or misdirected; (ii) any problems or technical malfunctions, errors, omissions, interruptions, deletions, defects, delays in operation or transmission, communication failures or human error that may occur in the transmission, receipt or processing of entries, or for destruction of or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries; (iii) failed or unavailable hardware, network or, software; (iv) causes beyond Civis’s reasonable control that jeopardize the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest; (v) incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by entrants or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (vi) any typographical or other error in any printing or advertising related to the Contest, in the administration or execution of the Contest, or in the announcement of the winner; or (vii) cheating or fraud by any entrant;
(j) If for any reason this Contest cannot be executed as planned, including but not limited to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Civis that corrupt or affect the security, administration, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, or if this Contest is compromised or becomes corrupted in any way, electronically or otherwise, Civis reserves the right to terminate this Contest. If this Contest is terminated before the original end date, the Judges will select the winner from among all valid, non-suspect entries received as of the time/date of termination on the basis of the judging criteria described in Rule 7, below;
(k) Civis reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify and prosecute any individual who tampers with or attempts to tamper with the entry process or any aspect of this Contest. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY PERSON TO DELIBERATELY CORRUPT OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, CIVIS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DISQUALIFY, PROSECUTE AND SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- Entry Guidelines/Content Restrictions: Your entry cannot: (a) be sexually explicit or suggestive, violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group, be profane or pornographic, or contain or reference nudity or any materially dangerous activity; (b) promote alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing), promote any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous, or any particular political agenda or message; (c) be obscene or offensive, endorse any form of hate or hate group; (d) contain or reference trademarks, logos or trade dress owned by others (except Civis’s to the extent allowed hereunder), or advertise or promote any brand or product or service of any kind (except Civis’s), without permission, or contain any personal identification, such as license plate numbers, personal names, email addresses or street addresses (except to the extent required to complete the entry form); (e) contain copyrighted materials owned by others without permission; or (f) contain materials embodying the names, likenesses, photographs, or other indicia identifying any person, living or dead, without proper permission.LIMITED LICENSE: CIVIS’S TRADEMARKS, TRADE DRESS AND LOGO (COLLECTIVELY, “CIVIS’S MARKS”) MAY BE USED FOR PURPOSES OF THIS CONTEST ONLY. NO OTHER RIGHTS IN OR TO CIVIS’S MARKS ARE GRANTED UNDER THESE OFFICIAL RULES. If any entry is found, in Civis’s sole discretion, to be infringing on the intellectual property rights of any third party, that entry and the entrant who submitted it will be disqualified.
- Rights Granted to Civis:
(a) By entering the Contest, each entrant grants Civis and its affiliates and agents a non-exclusive, sub-licensable, royalty-free, fully paid, unlimited, worldwide license and right, without limitation or further permission or compensation, to reproduce, publish, display, edit, adapt, modify, distribute, develop, make derivative works from and otherwise use his/her entry in whole or in part for any commercial or non-commercial purposes in any manner and in any medium now known or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity.
(b) Each entrant agrees not to instigate, support, maintain or authorize any action or lawsuit against Civis, its affiliates or agencies, or the officers, directors or employees of any of the above, on the basis that any use of his/her entry infringes any of his/her rights as creator of such entry.
(c) By entering the Contest, each entrant grants Civis and its affiliates and agents the right, without limitation or further permission or compensation, to use and publish the entrant’s and his/her Organization’s name, likeness, recorded image, logo, trademarks and trade dress for promotional, advertising, publicity and marketing purposes in any manner in commerce and in any medium now known or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity, without limitation and without further notice or approval.
(d) Civis may require any entrant to execute documents to confirm the grant of rights hereunder; failure to do so may result in disqualification.
- Judging:All eligible entries received will be reviewed and evaluated by the Judges, as described in further detail below, on the basis of the following criteria:
- Appropriateness of questions to Organization’s stated mission (40%);
- Likelihood that survey responses will be helpful to Organization in the manner entrant
- envisions (40%); and
- Clarity of expression regarding questions to be asked and use to which responses will be
- put (20%).
Judging will be conducted in Chicago, IL beginning on or about January 4, 2019 and is expected to conclude on or about January 11, 2019. Qualified representatives of Civis (“Judges”) will evaluate all eligible entries received on the basis of the criteria stated above. Civis will select 1 to 3 Finalists, based upon the entries with the highest average score. In the event of a tie in the judging process, the Organization named in the tied entry with the highest score in “Clarity of expression” will be declared the winner (or one of the winners, if multiple are selected) of the prize, as applicable.
- Prize:One (1) prize will be awarded, consisting of a Creative Focus survey conducted by Civis among U.S. residents for a one (1)-week period, and an analysis by Civis of the survey responses. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): $18,000. Awarding of the prize will be subject to verification of the eligibility of entrant who submitted the winning entry and of the Organization to which the prize is to be awarded.
- General Prize Conditions: The prize consists only of the items described above. Any other expenses not expressly included in the prize are the responsibility of the winning Organization.
Prize is non-transferable. No prize substitution or cash redemption will be allowed, except as provided herein or in Civis’s sole discretion. Civis reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if the advertised prize becomes unavailable.
The winning Organization will be responsible for the determination and payment of any local, state or federal tax liability arising from its acceptance of the prize.
- Winner Notification/Prize Claim: Within approximately three (3) days following the end of the judging process, Civis will notify the potential winning Organization and the entrant who submitted the corresponding entry by phone, email or postal mail. An authorized representative of the Organization and the entrant will be required to complete, sign and return an order form agreeing to the terms and conditions of the prize (available here: https://civisanalytics.wpengine.com/master-services-agreement/) an affidavit of eligibility, liability release, and (if permitted by law) a publicity release within seven (7) days of first written notification or the prize will be forfeited and awarded to the Organization named in the Finalist entry that received the next-highest average score in the Stage Two judging (after the original winning entry).
If the prize is not claimed timely in accordance with these Official Rules, or if a prize notification is undeliverable, or if the winning Organization refuses to accept the prize, or if the Organization or corresponding entrant are deemed ineligible for any reason, the prize will be forfeited and awarded to the Organization named in the Finalist entry that received the next-highest average score in the Stage Two judging (after the original winning entry).
- Release/Disputes: By participating in this Contest, each entrant and corresponding Organization agree to indemnify, release, defend and hold harmless Civis, its parent company, affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising/promotion agencies, and the officers, directors, and employees of each of the foregoing, from and against any and all liability for injuries, losses, or damages of any kind to persons or property, including but not limited to liability for alleged violation of privacy or publicity rights or for defamation, arising from or in connection with participation in the Contest or the acceptance, possession and/or use/misuse of the prize (if applicable).
By accepting the prize, the winning Organization agrees that Civis may use the Organization’s and its representative’s names, likenesses, photographs, recorded images, trademarks, logos, trade dress, statements made in connection with the Contest, and the results/analysis of winner’s survey for promotional purposes, in commerce and in any media worldwide, including but not limited to social media, without limitation and without further consideration, payment or notice.
By participating, each entrant and corresponding Organization agree that: (a) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, this Contest or the prize (if applicable) shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate state or federal court located in Cook County, Illinois; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including but not limited to costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) to the extent allowed by applicable law, under no circumstances will entrants/Organizations be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrants/Organizations hereby waive all rights to claim, punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages and/or any other damages, other than out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO PORTIONS OF THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrants’/ Organizations’ rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of Civis in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Illinois, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Illinois or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Illinois.
The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest-related materials and the terms and conditions of these Official Rules, these Official Rules shall prevail, govern and control.
- Winner Info: For the name of the winning Organization, see the Web Site or mail a self-addressed, stamped envelope with proper postage affixed to: Civis Analytics Marketing Department 200 W Monroe Suite 2200 Chicago, IL 60606. Requests must be received by January 31, 2019. Winner information will be available after the winning Organization has been verified.
- Sponsor:This Contest is sponsored solely by Civis Analytics, Inc., Chicago, IL
© 2018 Civis Analytics, Inc. All rights reserved.